Each month, PharPoint Research hand-selects a charity to support through fund-raising and awareness building to aid in research and/or resource development. Known as our Working Together for Change campaign, this company-wide initiative is dedicated to aiding those in need and serving the community. To celebrate the holiday season, PharPoint Research has selected two charities to support – S.H.A.R.E. NC and The Salvation Army of Durham.
S.H.A.R.E.: Serving Children and Families in Need
S.H.A.R.E. stands for Support, Hope, Assist, Reflect, and Empower, and is a nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting children and
families in need. S.H.A.R.E. is located in eastern North Carolina and works with families in Pender, Duplin, New Hanover, Brunswick, and Columbus counties. As a small, volunteer-based program, S.H.A.R.E. operates entirely on donations, from monetary contributions to toys and kitchen appliances.
In an effort to positively impact both individual families and the community as a whole, S.H.A.R.E. has multiple programs to reach as many people as possible. Their Share it Forward program accepts donations of gently used home goods throughout the week. Then, those items are matched to requests that are received from human service workers on the behalf of a family in need, to ensure that donations are allocated to where they are needed most.
Similarly, S.H.A.R.E.’s Pay it Forward program provides individuals and families with assistance in the hopes that they will reciprocate by giving back to the community. Through an application process, families may receive assistance if they agree to perform a simple act that will carry on the spirit of giving in the community.
PharPoint Research’s Wilmington office has chosen to participate in S.H.A.R.E.’s Adopt an Angel program. Each December, the organization provides gifts to less fortunate children who have been referred to S.H.A.R.E. Volunteers are able to “adopt” a family and provide donations based on the needs and interests of the children. S.H.A.R.E. also provides the opportunity to deliver donations directly to the family, so that volunteers can see the impact that they have first-hand.
The Salvation Army of Durham: Serving Families Since 1910
Established over 100 years ago, The Salvation Army of Durham services Durham, Orange and Person Counties and provides job and agency referrals, food, clothing, financial assistance and counseling to more than 5,000 citizens per year. The Salvation Army operatives on five major core values: Passion, Compassion, Bravery, Uplift, and Trust. These core values are the ultimate motivation behind the services at The Salvation Army of Durham.
The Salvation Army of Durham administers many programs and services designed to restore broken lives, build healthy relationships, and develop and encourage people of all ages. The primary programs are:
- Burnout and Natural Disaster Relief – Families that are victims of a house fire or natural disaster are given vouchers to receive clothing and furniture from The Salvation Army Family Store.
- Food Pantry – Food assistance is provided to meet the needs of the community and provide a sense of stability for hungry families.
- Rent and Utility Assistance – Emergency assistance for rent and utilities is available for local residents who have received an eviction or cut-off notice.
- Pathway of Hope – A case management approach provides targeted services to families with a desire to break the cycle of crisis and enable a path out of intergenerational poverty.
- Jobs for Life – A global nonprofit that engages and equips local organizations to address the impact of joblessness through the dignity of work.
- Christmas Angel Tree – Each year, toys and clothing are collected and distributed through the Angel Tree Program with the support of local businesses and citizens.
In keeping with the spirit of the holiday season, the PharPoint Research’s Durham office has chosen to support a local family through The
Salvation Army Christmas Angel Tree. The program was created in 1979 and is now the cornerstone of The Salvation Army’s holiday efforts.
Businesses and organizations decorate Christmas trees and adorned them with angel tags inscribed with the name and wish list of families in need. Donors then choose a tag and shop for gifts for an individual child or family. Last year, over 600 families in Durham, Orange, and Person counties registered for the program and thousands of children were given gifts to open on Christmas morning.
How You Can Help
Interested in joining PharPoint Research and the effort to serve S.H.A.R.E. and The Salvation Army of Durham? There are a variety of opportunities to best suit your time and resources:
- Donate to S.H.A.R.E. or sponsor an event with the organization
- Donate to The Salvation Army of Durham or learn more about volunteer opportunities
Have you or someone you know been helped through the services of S.H.A.R.E. or The Salvation Army of Durham? Please share your experience in the comments below.